Call for a free case evaluation

Steps to Take After You or Your Business Has Been Served With a Lawsuit

Steps to Take After You or Your Business Has Been Served With a Lawsuit

Civil Litigation

If you live in Pinellas County and have been served with a lawsuit (technically called a Complaint), you are probably either in shock or angry and ready for a fight.  If the Complaint was also filed in Pinellas County, it will be assigned to either downtown St. Petersburg or Clearwater to be heard in either a Circuit or County Civil division.  The first step anyone should take is the read the summons and calendar when a response is due.  The date the suit was served will be handwritten on the front page.  If the last day falls on a weekend or holiday, you have until the next business day to respond.  However, I recommend against waiting until the last minute. The next step is usually to look for a lawyer to help you defend the case.  As someone who has handled almost every type of civil case, make an informed decision before you hire a lawyer.  Unlike some types of cases, you will be forming a team with your lawyer and will be dealing with that person for months, if not years.  My advice is to look for a lawyer who you believe you will be able to work with and one that you believe the judge or other lawyers in the community respect.  I see too many defendants looking for lawyers who feed into their anger and are too eager to blindly litigate until they bleed the client dry with fees and make a resolution of the case impossible.  Then they withdraw and leave the client broke and unrepresented.  While I consider myself an aggressive litigator who fights hard for my clients, I have an internal compass that protects clients from self-destructive behavior and reminds them what is ultimately in their best interest.  Whether the lawsuit is a business dispute, contract case or fight over money or property, defending a lawsuit is challenging, so take your time and do your research. My office is in St. Petersburg and I litigate throughout Pinellas County regularly.  I can be reached at (727)381-2300 to discuss your situation.

Sharing is Caring!


Sharing is Caring!

Free Consultation

Fill out the form below and we will get back will you shortly.  Fields labeled with an asterisk are required.

    Contact Sean

    Fill out the form below and I will get back with you as soon as possible.

      Search Our Website

      Enter some keywords into the search bar below and click the search icon